Monday, June 18, 2007

Databases as Objects: My schema is a class

In my previous article I wrote that the database is the biggest object in my system. If that is the case, I should be able to test the concept against the Gang of Four's Design Patterns to see how the idea holds up. 

But before doing that I need to define, in database terms, what classes are and what their instances may look like. 

In OO terms, a class is a template that defines what its instances look like. Cincom's VW Smalltalk's Date class defines two instance variables, day and year. Given those two instance variables any Date class instance can keep track of a date. 

My database has a schema. That schema can be executed as a sequence of data definition language (DDL) statements to create a new instance. In addition to our production database we have multiple other instances created with the same schema our developers and quality analysts use to test the system. 

Part of a class' template defines its instances methods. Which operations does it support. What behaviors can a user of any of a class' instances expect to be available? Inside a class hierarchy classes inherit the behavior of their superclasses--the classes from which they derive their base behavior. A class can add new behavior or override inherited behavior to create an object with unique capabilities not available in any of its ancestors. 

Before I extend any of my database' behaviors, it too, has default behaviors. At the lowest level I can use SQL statements to introspect and interact with my database in all kinds of low-level ways. On their own, these low-level behaviors know nothing of my application or its unique abilities and requirements. Like a class, though, I can add new behavior or even override default behavior using stored procedures and views to provide unique capabilities not available or impractical if they didn't exist. 

In the world of Sybase, every database inherits the attributes and behavior of a database named Model. 

Model 



Efinnet 

By itself, this is beginning to look like a class tree--though a very shallow one. Something's belonging to a tree isn't more probably based on the depth of a tree (or its lack of depth). In fact, many OO designers are advocating for shallower hierarchies. In either respect, our database fits right in. 

We already talked about instance variables and methods, but what are some of the other OO-ish things my database can do? 

Persistence - One if its most important features is its ability to persist itself on disk and maintain its integrity. The entire state of my system is preserved and maintained inside my database object. 

Introspection - My database can tell me things about itself, its variables and its methods 

Composition - My database is composed of other objects called tables. Some of the tables were inherited from its superclass, others were added to extend its functionality.

Singleton - Instances of my database exist as singletons. For each instance of my system one, and exactly one, instance of my database exists to preserve and protect the state of my system. 

Messages - The only way I can communicate to it is by sending messages to it. I can not (and care not) to manipulate its data directly at a low level (disk) because that would risk its integrity--not in a referential way but at a disk-level consistency way. 

Extendability - I can extend my database's schema to define new variables (tables) and behaviors (procedures). Even better, I can apply the new schema its instances. 

It's amazing it took me 20+ years to recognize the similarities between objects and databases. But now that I'm confident my database is an instance of my schema and in other important respects is in fact an object (singleton) of its own, I can start visiting various of the GoF's patterns to see how well they apply. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @TomGagne